Monday, March 21, 2011

Week 8 - Intuition II: Reading

I can't write with other people, but I often can't think or see alone. I can't work with someone looking over my shoulder constantly but I can't finish without feedback. When I sit myself down to work I do it alone. I take everything I've talked about and everything we've discussed and I put it to use when I'm alone. The structure comes from not working. I stay focused when I'm not working. The second I sit down to work I have notes in front of me so I know where I'm going but aside from that, it's anybody's game. Whether I'm busting out paragraphs or slicing and dicing footage, I go where it takes me, referencing notes and concepts and structural decisions only when my flow starts to slow. The preparation is the structure that builds the skeleton and the actual doing of the work is where I create the muscle and the meat. In the moment, I go with it. It may not be the exact plan that I had set out for it, but it has a structure. When I lose sight of that structure and intuition is getting me nowhere I have to step back from it all and bring in other eyes and other ears and recreate the plan and redevelop what's starting to crumble. Once I figure it out then it's back into isolation for me.

No comments: