Monday, March 21, 2011

Week 2 Introspection II: Reading

From a writing perspective it is much easier to make things your own because you are the one creating the material and voicing the story. From an editing perspective the challenge of finding myself in a project and somehow making it my own is a bit different and in my opinion still a hard task. You are given the material, you are given someone else's story, and it's your job to put it together. It's written a specific way and then interpreted and reinterpreted by multiple people before it ever ends up in your hands and at that point, you get to interpret it again. You choose the best take, you choose whether it's better to hold on someone's reaction for two more frames or to go ahead and make the cut now. You manipulate the emotion of the scene with your cuts and I think a lot of time, my emotions are reflected back at me when I edit whether I intend them to or not.

No comments: