Monday, March 7, 2011

Week 7 Intuition I - Storytelling 3.0

I say that the presentation was not quite what I was expecting, though I'm not really sure entirely of what I was expecting. Most of what he talked about I've heard many times from different people. The evolution from simple verbal recounts to the written word, photos, film and television, and now to the internet are all things I've either been taught about before or experienced myself. I agree that the evolution of communicative media has had a huge impact on what and how stories are told, i'll never deny that, but I thought the way it was presented was a little blase.

I tell stories all the time. I say that because I don't believe any recounting is ever the truth and is always a personal or generally accepted story. I can't remember which philosopher it was who said it but the concept was this: the act is fact and after that, it's untrue. Throwing a chair across a room is fact. Describing it is a story. Slamming my fist into a table is fact. Feeling the pain is a fact. Saying it hurt is a story. The only truth is in the act and in the moment. After that we are putting our own interpretations on it.

Even though I understand the presentation was for a community of filmmakers I feel like the written word was just kind of glossed over in favor of talking about social media and facebook. Yes, things happen on facebook. Things are shared on facebook. But what about blogs? What about chain emails? I don't know... I just felt like there was a lot more value to be had from this presentation that just wasn't there.

No comments: