Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Museum Visit

Favorite Piece(s): The series of "House on Fire" pieces by Kim Russo were my favorite part of the exhibit. They were simple in that they consisted of only graphite and watercolor on paper but they were also intriguing in their subject matter. The large piece, 2 squirrels, is I think the most simple. It's natural that squirrels would be more interested in stealing food than the house on fire behind them. They are oblivious to it and it makes me smile. The other two pieces are equally interesting in that they draw your attention not to the tragic burning of someone's home but to the bizarre presence of a man in a chicken suit and a bull. It feels like a reminder to remember the little things when the big things get crazy.

Least Favorite piece: I think my least favorite piece was "La Guadalupana" by Delilah Montoya. It was huge and I understand that it is supposed to reflect an alter but all it made me think of was Johnny Tapia and his huge tattoo of Our Lady of Guadalupe. It just didn't move me or interest me visually like I think it was supposed to.

Most surprising: I think I was most surprised by Max Cole's "Tomah II". I didn't notice the ink at first or how intricate and detailed it actually was and I actually felt a stronger connection to the piece once I took the time to look at all of the tiny ink marks.

Most moving: It wasn't moving in a particularly emotional way but I found Peter Sarkissian's "Gathering Series I" to be moving in an inspirational way. It's almost interactive in a sense and it isn't just visually interesting but it you can also hear it and it creates a very dynamic sensory experience. It pulls you into the piece because you can stand inside of it, you can imagine the people around you talking and it allows you to be a part of it instead of just being a piece to observe.

I really don't understand this last question. Like content and approach how? Like I could create an interactive film that incorporates aspects of Sarkissian's piece if I wanted? I'm confused.

No comments: