Monday, March 21, 2011

Week 3 Introspection III: Reading

I have a natural inclination towards psychology. I like learning the way people work, reading their body language to hear what isn't said, and understanding what they're saying when they're saying nothing at all. I like listening and observing. I read books on love and philosophy and mental illness for fun. Sometimes I really wish I could double major in psychology and film because I feel like the two go hand in hand. I took a psychology class in Savannah and it was my favorite class. I passed with ease because I was so interested I actually did my assignments immediately and sometimes even did the reading before it was assigned. Even when I was seeing a counselor, a young woman who was currently getting her masters in psychology, I put to use what I'd learned in class, seeing if she'd pick up on certain body language cues and the like. Granted, that was unproductive in regards to the reason I was seeing her, but I was highly amused and highly intrigued. And my interest in psychology is extremely visible in my creative writing and filmmaking these days. I not only develop the standard character profile but I look at the psyche of the character. I think of whether they're introverted or not and how the hold themselves physically. I think about how their minds work and why they work the way they do because someone who appears psychologically sound isn't always so.

No comments: