Monday, March 21, 2011

Week 4 Inquiry 1 - Reading

I often find it's really easy to get blocked when trying to work on imagination and creativity alone. Things start to feel inauthentic and because you have no experience with the situation you lose sight of where you're going and you also have no idea how to get there. I think it's extremely important to have experiences to draw on because even if they aren't exactly what you need for your story or what have you, they create an authentic representation in a way just imagining it can't. An example would be that I've never been in outer space, but if I have someone get into a sparring match on a spaceship I can write it because I've been in sparring matches and I've fought before. I know the feel of adrenaline in my veins and I know what it feels like to get hit by a professional fighter. I can write about fighting as a dance and as a psychological battle because I've felt it and I understand it. It's not about throwing punches or scoring takedowns, but about calculating and reacting and understanding your opponent on levels unimaginable to someone just watching.

No comments: