Monday, February 28, 2011

This week's Best of Me:

Okay so I am a closet Gleek. I like Glee. So much in fact that I'm seeing Glee Live this summer. And I will admit the only reason I started watching was because of the possibility of a lesbian couple on a prime time television show. Also, the actresses are immensely talented and attractive. My favorite character without a doubt is Santana Lopez (played by Naya Rivera). Her character started out as a bitchy boy-crazy cheerleader who simply tells it like it is to everyone. Recently though her character development, however minimal, has intrigued me. Her character, a 16 year old, got a boob job over the summer, had a moment of gay panic whilst making out with her best friend, and in the past few episodes alone has been given more dialogue, more feelings, and more screen time in general.

There is so much potential for a great story-line here but I fear that that potential will not be realized because of the nature of the show. Santana intrigues me to the point that I often find myself wishing I were a writer on the show so that I could give her the proper development and backstory she deserves. I really hope the writers do this right because if not I will consider it one of the biggest wastes of potential and talent (Naya Rivera's acting chops are superb) I've ever been privy to.

No comments: