Sunday, November 2, 2008

Friendliest Friendliness Required


You ever notice how everyone classifies their friends into friends, best friends, acquaintances, family, lovers whatever etc... well I've noticed that there are even deeper subcategories within those. Seriously, like I've noticed that my best friends are the people that I hang out with and enjoy spending time with the most... obviously; however, I've found that only some of my best friends are the ones that I can cry in front of or flop down next to when I'm tired or feel like shit. This goes back to something I wrote about Aristotle around this time last year regarding his theory on useful friends and relationships versus a true friendship. When it comes down to it I think Aristotle combined with Erich Fromm's The Art of Loving perfectly describe relationships on all levels. That's just me though. But seriously, when you refer to A and B as your best friends you would expect them to be equal in nature, but they aren't. They are equal in the sense that you can talk to A about B and vice a versa, but you can't always go to B for a hug when you need it. You can however be blatantly honest and open with B but not with A. So here's the conundrum... who's the real best friend? Is there a real best friend or will both outlive their usefulness once a true best friend comes along. If I recall correctly (and I most likely don't) Aristotle said something along the lines of a true friendship entails never having to ask for help and never needing to suggest getting it. Everything is understood and the give and take is virtually non existent. They way I see it, according to Aristotle's definition, I've never had any friends and neither have you for that matter. So should I just consider myself friendless and go on living in this crazy world of usefulness vs. nonusefulness or should I tell Aristotle to go fuck himself because I believe that I do have real and true friends? 

I'll answer that question with a question for my friends: Why do you spend time with me? Is it because there is an unspoken bond or is it because I provide something you need such as directions, a ride, leadership, family, someone to lean on, a printer, a tv, a bodyguard, a laugh, an outlet...?

1 comment:

Tits McGee said...

oh you know, i just like to use your printer. you can't beat laserjet