Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Who needs sleep?

"Can't sleep," I ask politely.
"No. I"m doing work though, actually."
"Oh, I'm doing this because I can't sleep. If I turn a light on to read, I might as well kiss sleep goodbye. There's nothing on tv, not that I watch much anyway but... that leaves me with this."
"You don't need a light to be on your computer?"
"Nope. :) The glow from the screen illuminates the keyboard."
"Oh."
"So, what are you working on?"
No answer... five minutes later, still no answer.
Maybe she's busy. Maybe she fell asleep. No you idiot, she probably doesn't want to talk to you because she doesn't like you. Oh! New comment!
"I'm just working on a bunch of different things, nothing specific."
"Oh, I see. Look, I'm really enjoying this, but if you don't want me to bother you anymore I can get off..."
"What? Oh, no it's fine. It's a distraction, a pleasant one at that. I really don't mind at all."
She minds, I know she minds. I wouldn't want to talk to me at 2 in the morning if I was doing work. I really should let her be... oh but I can't, I want to talk...
"Ok, but um, you know stop me at any time. So, it's 2:15, what does that make it where you are?"
"It's 1:15 here. Why aren't you sleeping again?"
"I just can't. I've always been a bit of an insomniac. you know what I wish though..."
"No, what?"
"I wish I could pull my truck out of the garage, drive to the end of the block, park and just chill in the bed, under the stars. I really wish I could."
"Why don't you then? It sounds nice to me too."
"My parents would freak if I just left in the middle of the night. The only time I can actually do that is when my friends are here and we stay up all night."
"Oh, I see. But I guess if you were out under the stars we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we?"
"No, we wouldn't. Oh shit, my computer's about to die. Could we continue this tomorrow?"
"Sure thing. Good luck sleeping!"
"Thanks and good luck with your work."

That's a conversation I had a while ago with a friend of mine, the italics represent my though process. If you can't sleep and you can't think of anything to do, get in touch with me during the wee hours of the night. Chances are I'm still awake and I'm really quite reasonable during those hours.

No comments: