Friday, April 18, 2008

"Write... or Die!"

I keep hearing the same thing over and over, "I don't care if it's good, I just need to see that you're actually doing work." -Stu

Stu is my creative writing teacher, a jewish New Yorker currently living here with his wife and kids. Whenever he asks us to read our work aloud in class everyone starts with an apology of some sort:
"It's just a draft..."
"It's really rough still..."
"I don't really like it so..."
"This isn't finished yet but..."
Then everyone reads and you realize that all it is is a bit of self-conscious fluff. "Get the Fuck away from the Fluff!" So many things that I've thought were complete shit I've shown to friends or teachers and received nothing but compliments. After read one piece aloud in my english class, my teacher found me afterwards to tell me that it was amazing and that it completely blew his mind. 
This year is the frist time i've ever submitted anything to either of our school publications: "Pulp, Pith and Zest" (non-fiction and photography) and "Other Voices" (fiction and other creative works). I did it anonymously but give me a break, it's a first step and a big one at that. That's why I'm only writing semi-anonymously now. I don't draw attention to who I am, but the information is there if you want it. So why don't i post my works here instead of these weird "journal type explanations of random things" things? I don't know. maybe I will. I tell you what... I'll go back through my folders and if I see something I like, I'll put it up under an ambiguous title like "Essay 1" or "Poem 7 - A Sestina". I'm putting my music on her too. The link is over there. --->
My videos you can see on youtube and I think that pretty much covers all forms of media. So... ya. I'm getting it out there, all at once. It's like one huge pile of shit yet it's still not big enough to see through the grass. If I'm lucky enough, some unknowing person will accidentally set foot in this pile of shit and while attempting to scrape it off their shoe, realize that it isn't shit at all. 

Wow that's a weird analogy. I just compared gaining an audience to stepping in dog shit. Well, if you find this even mildly amusing I'm pretty sure you'll like everything else I have to say here. Next time you're out and you suddenly realize you've stepped in something of "that" consistency, don't fret because it may just be the best shit ever.

No comments: