Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Week 13: IMPACT II - Concept Worksheet - Documentary

Who is your documentary about?

Naya Rivera

What has your subject done that is unique and notable / Why is your concept worthy of being documented on film?

She started as a background player on the tv show Glee and in the span of a season became a series regular that now has a prominent storyline in which she deals with the everything that comes with being a gay youth. Her character and her support of the LGBT community has changed the lives of Gays and Lesbians of all ages, providing a role model for the young and an accurate view of the lives of so many of us that struggled with accepting who truly are. She pushed for this storyline and was instrumental in making it happen.

What do you see as the Visual Look of your concept?

I think it would have lots of media clips, from the show, from interviews and appearances, etc. There would also be interviews filmed in a comfortable setting. I don’t think this could be told from anything but a personal point of view because it is incredibly personal to me. That being said, my point of view on her and her character is shared by many many people.

How does your story unfold?

I think I would start it with a clip from one of the songs she’s performed on glee that would fade into a video clip of her performing said song. I think the important thing here would be to show who she is and what she does and to use that to lead into how she’s using her craft to change lives. There are lots of video clips available that I think would be nice little surprises to throw in every now and then. I would really want to interview people who have been deeply affected by her storyline and her support for it, i.e.: Kids who were afraid to come out until they saw her do it, kids who were contemplating suicide because they had no one in their lives they could relate to unitl they turned on their tv’s and saw her.

She has a background in performing and has been acting since she was little. While that is notable for her career I think it’s not so much as important to this particular story, though the fact that she is gaining so much notoriety for playing a struggling lesbian instead of for just how talented she is could be interesting too.

How will you present your story?

This story is very much a thank you to Naya for all that she’s done and is doing, highlighting the positive things that have come from her portrayal of Santana Lopez. I think I would be invisible because the point is that this is the story of many and it needs to feel as though it’s coming from everyone.

I would definitely be using library footage from glee and events and appearances as well as interviews. I would also include a few still photos, especially when covering her background. I think I would use the blank screen technique but only to punctuate a specific moment: the scene where Santana admits she’s in love with her best friend.

Sound wise I would use a combination of voice-over, narration, synchronous sound, and music.

URLs:

http://dorothysurrenders.blogspot.com/2011/03/time-makes-you-bolder.html

http://www.afterellen.com/TV/2011/03/ryan-murphy-says-santana-is-a-lesbian

http://dorothy-snarker.tumblr.com/post/4981961079/the-brittana-chronicles-flirt-locker-hurt

No comments: