Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Call me, don't call me

I have decided I am physically incapable of having a conversation on the phone. No matter who it is I'm talking to and no matter the duration, the conversation is always punctuated with long awkward pauses. I love words. Some even say I have a gift with words, but apparently this only applies when I am either writing or speaking to someone in person. What is this phone anxiety I have that prevents me from functioning properly? I have no fucking clue. If you've ever talked to me on the phone you know this is the truth and if you have yet to engage in a telephonic conversation with me I suggest you try it... just so you know what I'm referring to. ;) Seriously though, I'm sure I'm not the only person with telephone anxiety. I mean, really... what is there to worry me? They can hear me but they can't see what I'm doing. It doesn't matter if I look clean or have spinach in my teeth as long as I speak with some semblance of sanity it's all good. Wrong. I dial a number, the recipient answers, we say hello, how are you, and then silence. Between topics I stop. I am completely silent. Then something interesting comes up. then silence. All the while I have no idea what is going through the other person's head. Are they wondering why I can't talk? Am I distracted by something? Do they think I'm a creeper? Why aren't they breaking the silence? Should I say goodbye and end the suffering for both of us?

If anyone knows how to improve my telephone skills the help would be greatly appreciated.

No comments: